Perhaps it’s my loyalty to the Indianapolis Colts that is prompting me to write this, but I like to think my disdain for the Black and Gold is pure. It seems as though every time I see a Steelers highlight or media clip, I am left feeling annoyed. Here are some reasons why:
- Big Ben is a child. Sure the guy is hard as nails. I mean who survives a motorcycle crash and two alleged rape charges? What astonishes me is that the guy gets himself into these situations because of his maturity – or lack thereof. I guess it’s part of the “NFL lifestyle” that would entice Ben to want to hangout in such shady areas with such shady (and arguably underaged) people, but the man is a public figure and needs to act as such. Hopefully his new marriage will force him to grow up.
- Steelers’ fans seem to make up 25% of the population of every city.
- Hines Ward cries more than John Boehner – and that’s really saying something. I don’t know what irks me more about his character; the fact that his is the biggest crybaby in professional sports or that he was arrested for DUI. Obviously, it’s the second trait. It’s sad to see DUI charges being such a large part of the culture of the NFL. I got to give the guy credit though, he sure does know how to dance.
- Mike Tomlin looks like Omar Epps.
- The Terrible Towels. Seriously, what does swinging a towel above one’s head have to do with intimidating the other team. It just doesn’t seem to fit the Steelers’ reputation as a hard-nosed, smash-mouth football squad. I know other teams have adopted this policy into their team culture, but come on…towels being terrible?
- Polamalu’s hair and the fact that his commercials are more terrible than those towels.